Thursday, November 3, 2022

My Dog Rusty

For today's installment of Gratitude Adjustment, I give to you:
A Very Silly Dog.

This is Rusty, my 11 year old wirehaired dachshund. He is The Alarm. Babe, the GSD, is The Enforcer. At this point, Babe is more of a Sit On the Front porch And Pretend To Be Scary than actually DOING anything. She's 13.

 
Rusty has been by my side, providing comfort, companionship, a modicum of protection, and sympathy through the processes of grieving for 2 husbands.


His favorite spot is shoved up next to me on the couch. 



He also likes his bed next to the rocking chair on the front porch.



Or in the passenger seat of the truck. He's a good rider and traveling buddy!

Unfortunately, he doesn't like to swim so it's highly unlikely I could ever use him as a dive buddy.

He knows the FedEx and UPS drivers almost always have a biscuit for him.

He despises my 3rd son, and tolerates Grandpunkin. He's only bitten someone once, and that person admitted he probably had it coming. Stevie had come up on the house and startled Rusty, who then became very defensive of me, because I hadn't seen Stevie approach. Since Stevie's dog had bitten Capt once for the same reason, everyone called it even. I felt bad about it, but Rusty seemed to think he'd channeled his inner Doberman and was kind of proud of himself. I couldn't decide if I was embarrassed or impressed that my little dog showed some uncharacteristic chutzpah.

He has a few weird behaviors. One of my favorites involves his desire to be Part of What's Going On. I think that's a normal Dog Thing but the way he does it is kind of interesting. He will grab up a mouthful of food, and carry it over to wherever the people are gathering, drop it on the floor, and eat it there. Even if his bowl is on the opposite side of 5 acres from the people, he'll carry it that far, then eat it. He's brought it out 2 doors, down a flight of stairs and out to the fire pit, made 3 or 4 such trips, just to eat where the people are. When visiting Capt's parents, he'll leave little piles throughout their house, usually on a patterned rug where we can't see them. 



So God has seen fit to provide me with a loyal and amusing companion. For that I am very grateful.


I've actually managed to stick with the theme for 3 whole days! How about that!

1 comment:

  1. I love your writings! Excellent! Hilarious! Heart-wrenching! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete