Monday, January 30, 2023

Chuffed

 


A few days ago, the internet capabilities of my computer flaked out. After a flurry of advice from lots of people, none of which worked, I consulted my Computer Genius Son (he's working on his electrical engineering degree and has been building computers since he was 14). He made a couple of encouraging noises, and I then consulted a website that said this sort of thing happens sometimes with my particular brand (Lenovo), and here's a list of things to try. I tried things 1-5 to no avail. Thing 6 involved downloading a $40 something and I was reluctant. Thing 7 meant going into the deep depths of the internal workings and fiddling with stuff. What the heck. I did it. (not literal physical fiddling, but going places with mysterious names like WLAN). And it worked. Boom. Peggy got the computer working with the help of an Indian IT woman who understood things and put them on the internet. There are an assortment of phrases describing how I'm feeling right now, but my favorite one is "chuffed."

I feel chuffed. 

Typically my response to a mysterious thing going wrong is as described earlier. Ask advice. Panic. Give up. Sleep on it. Get frustrated and have a cup of tea. Sleep on it some more. Pretend it's 1974 and laptops don't exist. 

Except that the loss of internet capabilities also meant my beloved embroidery design program wasn't working. That thing....cost as much as a small used car and I need it to use the embroidery machines. While I would have been able to transfer it to a new computer I DON'T WANT A NEW COMPUTER.

Anyway, the whole point is moot now. I got the problem solved, with only minor inconvenience to the people to whom I turn first for such issues. 

Shortly after Himself died (Feb 2015), the washing machine failed spectacularly. Quit working. Entirely. Not a squeaky belt or peeing all over the floor, just a solid NOPE. O WHAT TO DO? I did not want to ask for help, so I turned to the internet (just like I did this time) and found a forum of people offering advice, and was able to fix the washer with a $150 motherboard that I installed myself (instead of paying someone. I'm that cheap.) That was the first time I'd ever fixed an appliance. Color me chuffed the first time. Before you get all amazed that I was able to install a motherboard, it had several connections that just plugged in, and was configured such that it was impossible to plug something in the wrong place. But still. 

So ok yeah, I'm probably bragging but I am kind of proud of myself. 

Now I need to figure out how to work the pressure washer. 







No comments:

Post a Comment