Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Stream-of-consciousness

 Yeah, it's been a couple of weeks. I've been busy. I like being busy. Dad and I got the pantry redone- new shelves, different layout. This house has 10 foot ceilings so I wanted to have the shelves go all the way up to provide storage for the rarely used stuff like the pressure canner, etc. Now it's off the porch and I can make the porch into a real place and not a storage place. Theoretically. We'll see if it stays that way.

Anyway, yesterday was Valentine's Day. Lots of love flying around. I went to the grocery store and there were men all over the place, buying flowers and choosing cards. The wine section was full of them too. I wondered if I should feel sad because I wasn't getting flowers, cards, or wine, but realized that was silly. I wasn't sad at all because

I am immensely privileged. Enormously so. In the last almost 40 years, I've had 2 men who loved me more than I ever loved myself. They made me feel like a Queen, spoiled me silly, and loved me thoroughly. Why on earth would I feel sad? It was a privilege! Of course I miss them both. I know if Himself hadn't passed on, I would never have met Capt, but that wasn't the grand plan. He did, and I did. Being loved by 2 men is more than anyone could hope for. I know I was blessed! 

So after asking myself if I was sad about all the flowers and cards and wine, and none of it for me, I realized that NO I WAS NOT. I was happy with having had such a life. Both times, the relationships had their joys, struggles, ups and downs. Both times I learned a lot from them and am a better person for them. God knew what He was doing. He still does. My job is to realize that and carry on. And so I am.

Now, I'm planting a garden, picking daffodils, and letting the dog on the couch. My life is shaping up quite differently from how it was. I'm cooking dinner for my parents 4-5 nights a week. I love to cook and doing it for 1 is awkward and silly. So being able to cook for them, and they'll eat anything I fix, is great fun. I have breakfast with friends once a week, attend things every Tuesday, dinner with my son once a week, and have something happening nearly every weekend. My life is full and as busy as I want it to be. 

What has been interesting, is how grieving for Capt has led to grieving for Himself as well. Kind of like everything has clicked back on. I'm doing a lot of reminiscing, looking at photo albums, unpacking memories. There's so much to think about. I am doing a lot of reading about saying goodbye, getting my act together, relating to God in this way and that. Learning stuff...busy times. Occasionally a bit overwhelming but mostly making for a full day. I'll admit to taking a day off now and then, and binge-watching something inconsequential, just to be able to turn off my mind for a while. 

Anyway, that's why I haven't written in a couple of weeks. I'm here and alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment