Thursday, September 21, 2023

Catharsis

 Writing is cathartic. Spilling everything in my mind out, putting it in words, allows the "paper"...what would have been paper 50 years ago...to hold the thoughts so I don't have to. It helps to organize smelly mists swirling around in my head, congealing them into something that can be tangible, compared to something else tangible, like holding a rock in each hand and deciding which one is heavier. Then I can bang them together and maybe make a spark, or at least a noise. 

So last time I wrote, it was about the return of some grief. It's still there, I'm still wearing it around my shoulders like some sort of cloak, and that's ok. There was a prayer meeting at church last night, after a pot-luck supper. I do love a potluck supper. Someone brought pineapple casserole. YUM. The church provided fried chicken, everyone else brought sides and desserts. I contributed deviled eggs because there's never any left over so I don't have to deal with them. Also- cheap and easy. Anyway, at the prayer meeting, it was announced that someone had lost her husband very suddenly, funeral was at such and such on an upcoming day. I had to cover my face because here comes the tears. 

Not because I was feeling sorry for myself, but because someone else was having to experience something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. 

How do you pray for someone in such a situation? I never knew but I do now. Pray for her to have courage in the upcoming days/months/years. Pray for her to feel God's presence and comfort in her grief, and for you to be able to know what God wants you to do to help.

How do you help? Let me tell you. Bring her a bunch of those Bolthouse Farms or Naked (brand) smoothies they have in the produce section of the grocery store. She'll have plenty of casseroles and probably not be hungry. Widows lose weight. I lost 50 pounds. Another friend lost 15 that she didn't have to lose. It's really hard to swallow and you have ZERO appetite, even if you know you probably ought to eat.

Don't try to distract her from her grief, she'd probably feel guilty about that. But honor it, sit with her without talking and if she wants to talk, encourage it. Let her talk about her beloved. It helps. If you knew him well, pull out a "remember when" and "one of the things I loved about him was (this thing)" I remember being so afraid he would be completely erased, and it's incredibly comforting to talk about him.

If bringing casseroles and baked goods is how you are led to help, that's wonderful! Especially if there's kids at home, because they need to eat and she might be having trouble with that. Or not- maybe taking care of her children helps her focus and manage each day. That said, if you bring food, PLEASE bring it in a disposable container, and ready to stick in the freezer, in case she has a lot of other food. I know how wonderful it was, when I was having a horrible day even months later, to reach in and grab something I could just stick in the oven and be done with it. Or if the 15 yr old was hungry, he could do it. Consider the size of the family when you make stuff up. If there's 2 or 3, a 9x13 pan of chicken and rice is kind of intimidating. Make 2 8x8 pans, ready to freeze. Put your name on it somehow, so she will know who brought it, because she's probably not going to remember. I know I'd forget the most basic things, like my own phone number, or personal hygiene. So remembering Ms Anne brought the macaroni and cheese is kind of a lot to expect.  And please, please, don't expect a thank you note. You might get one, but there's a lot going on and social niceties really need to be set aside. 

If you're in a church, and there's other widows there, let them know, and they will come around and be a tribe. I know I have my widow's tribe. When Himself died, there was one particular woman who knew just what to say, and her help early on was invaluable. Now I'm in another town, and found the widow's tribe. We have breakfast every Thursday, sit together at the potlucks, and encourage, laugh, cry, and help each other. 

For the funeral, if there's a request for a donation to a charity instead of flowers, PLEASE do that! PLEASE! I know it meant so much more to me than a bouquet. As nice as they were, I had no idea what to do with them. Same with the plants. The peace lilies. Oh lord...Yes, they're good houseplants but just like carnations, they're funeral plants. Please make a donation. It is so much more meaningful. I got a thank you from the charities Himself and Capt loved, and that meant the world to me. I guarantee the $50 you'd spend on a bouquet that will die in a week would mean so much to a volunteer fire department, homeless shelter, or humane society.

Understand that the widow will probably never get "back to normal". She will likely never be who she was before her beloved died. She has to create a new normal, which will include spells of grief. I don't know how long that will last. It's different for every person. For me, I expect it will last the rest of my life. Himself was called Home 8-1/2 years ago. For Capt it will be a year Oct. 8, 2023. Seeing a picture of Himself, smoking a cigar on the patio, brings me both comfort and sadness. Seeing a picture of Capt on his fishing boat, wearing a broad brimmed hat and happily barefoot, does the same. I imagine Himself in a big rocking chair talking philosophy with Jesus. I see Capt standing in the sand, fly-fishing with Saint Peter. Those images are incredibly comforting but also tears-inducing. 

A widow needs to learn to be able to have the sadness and grief without being told it will pass. No it won't. She will learn to be able to talk about her beloved without crying, but probably not immediately. So let her, and keep a couple of tissues in your pocket when you go for a visit. Some women are able to wear their emotions out there, and are unafraid to show them. Others are like me, mortified at the idea of being so publicly "irrational" (there's nothing irrational about it, but it is still horrifying to let people see me acting such a way). Either way, try to be comfortable with it. If she's a hugger, give her a hug. If not, give her a tissue. If you can, offer a cup of tea. 

Does any of this make sense? Does it help? I hope so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment