Monday, August 23, 2021

Sometimes you just need a cookie.

 What's your favorite cookie? I like oatmeal raisin. Those are my comfort cookie. I like them made with real butter, and I spice them up a bit with cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Nothing fancy recipe-wise, just the one on the back of the oatmeal box. Add raisins and chopped pecans or walnuts. I have nothing against other cookies. Chocolate chips are good, snickerdoodles are even better, and good ol' 3 ingredient shortbreads are even better than oatmeal raisin but I don't make them often because I'll seriously eat the entire pan because...y'know...butter, flour, and sugar. You can't get more elemental than that.

When I was growing up, my Mom made spectacular piecrust, like really REALLY good that would bake up crisp and flaky. She would cut off the trimmings and bake them with cinnamon and sugar on them. She called the piecrust cookies and they never lasted long enough to even cool off properly. I have been know, occasionally, to make piecrust without the pie, tear it into pieces and sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar, just to have the childhood memory of Mom making a pie and the added treat of the cookies.

I truly don't know what my kids favorite cookies were. They would eat anything. I know one of them always asks for a German chocolate cake, but the others never (to my recollection) had a particular preference. My late husband always wanted peanut butter cookies and Capt likes chocolate chip with pecans. 

Now, it's 2 of us here with an occasional Grandpunkin and #3 dropping by. When I make cookies now, I don't bake the entire batch and have 5024 cookies on a plate goading us into eating them all in one day. I will make a whole batch of dough, use my tiny ice cream scoop (about 1-1/2 inch diameter) and scoop balls onto a tray to freeze. Then they go into a ziploc bag in the freezer, and when one of us wants cookies, a few balls go onto a baking sheet and we have some cookies without having a gluttonous frenzy. I can throw a few balls into a container and send home with #3 to share with Grandpunkin, or take some to Mom to have with her afternoon tea. She also loves oatmeal raising and Dad likes chocolate chip.

I'm not going to take the time to write out the recipes because they're just the ones off the chocolate chip bag and the oatmeal box. The only differences are these:

  • I always ALWAYS use real butter.
  • I use all brown sugar, or turbinado sugar, instead of 1/2 brown and 1/2 white
  • With oatmeal, I add 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. I know nutmeg isn't everyone's cup of tea so leave it out if you aren't a fan. You can also use 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie or apple pie spice blend
  • Occasionally I've made Kitchen Sink cookies. Those are oatmeal cookies with ALL the good stuff added: chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, coconut, anything you can think of. About 1/4 cup of at least 4 things.
  • When mixing the butter, eggs, and vanilla, I whip it in a stand mixer for several minutes until it's so creamed together it's almost white.
There. That's my cookie post.

No comments:

Post a Comment