Thursday, August 12, 2021

"CRS is highly permanent right now"

 There's all kinds of theories about memories, loss, recall, all that stuff...whether they're gone, or it's recall that's a problem.  Or (my favorite Highly Unscientific But Far More Palatable) that your brain gets full and when a new memory comes in an older one gets shoved out...usually during the night and that's what the wet stuff is on your pillow. Old memories, not drool. Of course, that doesn't explain the memory issues of walking into a room and not remembering why....only that you've got a plausible reason for doing so.



Do you ever make a reason up, just to keep from embarrassing yourself? Even if no one is around and you're the only one disturbed by situation. I do that sometimes. I'll go into the storage room to get something, and have no idea why, so I'll grab some toilet paper or ziploc bags and go back in the house. Then I'll remember it was mason jars...but was it quart or pint? Then I have to parse *that* out. Am I canning beans or pickling jalapenos or making marmalade? Oh right....marmalade. 1/2 pints. And I'm out of them so I go online to see who has them nearby and wouldn't you know Tractor Supply has Wrangler jeans on sale! I need to call (whoever) and let them know! Why was I at Tractor Supply? I don't want need any horsefeed or bearings or giant bags of candy orange slices. Oh well, I guess I'll go read a while.

4 hours later....

darnit I needed 1/2 pints.

Even Capt, who's memory is usually exceptional, has his moments. I think like me, his mind works in overdrive but he's better at keeping things compartmentalized so the mental colors don't run together. A couple of days ago when I was expressing so much frustration as being an airhead, he gently said "you're not an airhead, your mind is just always 3 steps ahead and you lose track." Maybe. But it's personally embarrassing to forget I need 1/2 pint jars and get toilet paper instead. Even if bringing it in the house served a practical purpose.

Then there's that perpetual Mother of Several situation of calling your kids by the wrong names. I do it every. single. time. Almost. It helps if there's only one here and I can tell myself silently "his name is (X) his name is (X) his name is (X)" but that's still no guarantee. "his name is (X)" in my head and "HEY (Y)! Great to see you!" "Hi Mom, I'm X.." Oh. I knew that. hi anyway, its still great to see you.

There's one area where I'm guaran-damn-teed not to forget. Never will I ever, because my brain at 2 am will call all this up and beat me about the head and neck with it. It's all the everything I have ever done really wrong. The time I inadvertently offended someone in the 7th grade. She'd gotten new glasses and I said something rude. Then there was the time....and the other time...and that one time...Shut up brain. Why won't you remember 1/2 pint jars instead?

The statement there on the title comes from Capt. He said that earlier today. "What's CRS?" I asked.

"Can't Remember Shit."  

Oh...he said that right after he asked what I fixed for lunch and I replied with "same thing I fixed 10 minutes ago when you asked." But then right now he's not firing on all cylinders, through no fault of his own. Soon he'll be back to his normal self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment